Your Source For Making Wine and Beer

Guinness Clone

Thursday, March 09, 2006

It's probably a little late to make your batch of "Guinness" for St. Patrick's day but here is a recipe for making Guinness at home. The original recipe is for an all-grain brewer, but I have listed the substitutions for the extract brewer,
Ingredients:
    7 pounds, Crushed pale malt
    2 pounds, Flaked barley
    1 pound, crushed roast barley
    1 ounce, bullion hops
    3 ounces, northern brewer hops
    1 tsp. CaCO3 (if you are in a soft water area)
    yeast starter made from a bottle of Guinness
    OG: 1045-1053
Extract brewers: Substitute 2 cans of a light extract for the 7 pounds of pale malt. Also, if you don't want to make a yeast starter use Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast or Wyeast Irish Ale yeast.
I generally boil at 60 minutes, 30 minutes and 15 minutes and add my hops in at those intervals. At the 15 minute mark, I also use Irish moss to help settle the solids.


Technorati Tags : , , ,
Powered By Qumana

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Has any one tried this? Sounds Fun!!
how do you serve?
is this like the extra stout from the bottle
can you make it Draft if you mix Nitrogen to make the head?

Bens Stuff said...

I have made a couple batches that were similar. Did not use the nitrogen. They were not Guinness, but were still close enough.

Anonymous said...

I am just new to homebrewing and I am wondering how you make the starter yeast from a bottle of beer?? Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP