Your Source For Making Wine and Beer

Wine and Beer Experiments

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

With the summer fast approaching us (at least in my neck of the woods), I've decided to cut back on the number of posts.  Beginning this week, I will post on Tuesday's and Thursday's until after Labor Day.  I made this decision so that I could spend more time enjoying the hobby of winemaking and homebrewing and to try several different experiments.
 
Because I really don't like cleaning a bunch of bottles, my first experiment will be on bulk bottling.  The idea is to take either a 1 gallon or 2 gallon plastic container with a spigot and bottle the wine or beer in it.  Over the weekend, I started with 1 1/4 gallon container and filled it with strawberry wine and put it in the fridge.  So far there have been no problems and the wine tastes fine.  Another bulk bottling experiment will be taking beer and putting it into a 2 gallon container.  The idea is to have a mini-keg without out all of the expensive equipment.
 
Other experiments include a tea wine, strawberry/raspberry combo, another attempt at mead (I would like to make a sweet mead) and maybe a watermelon wine.  Beer experiments are just on bulk bottling, storage, and priming.

Technorati Tags : , , ,
Powered By Qumana

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cleaning bottles is probably my biggest gripe right now. I use a bleach solution, and it takes me forever just to wash 16 pint swingtops.

A hint stolen from my Mr. Beer guide (though I have yet to try it) is to bottle in large bottles first. After bottle conditioning, chill them to 29-34 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, carefully transfer them into smaller bottles without disturbing the sediment. This allows you to transfer the beer without losing the carbonation.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP