Your Source For Making Wine and Beer

Brew Review

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Brew Review


I have been out of town for the past 2 days and really wasn't able to write about anything. This evening, while sucking down a 32 oz Dos Equis Amber at the local Mexican restaurant, I decided I would write about the beers that I would spend my money on. Of course, everyone's taste buds are different, so this is no way the definitive list of beers to buy.

Lets start with Light Beers. First of all, I am not a light beer drinker. I still think that light beer is the brewery's way to make you pay full price for a product that has less ingredients to start with. But, if I had to buy a light beer, my choices would be: Amstel Light, Miller Lite, Yuengling Premium Light, and suprisingly Iron City Light. These beers have a fuller taste and taste more like beer than any others that I have tried.

In the Yellow Beer category, there are only 3 that are not bad. Coors Extra Gold, Genesse Cream Ale and Yeungling Premium. Once again, they taste like beer.

The Amber Beer category has Michael Shea's Irish Amber and Yuengling Traditional Lager. Of course, there are thousands of brewpubs making their versions of an Amber beer, and of the ones that I have tried, all have been excellent. Just way to many to list or maybe I drank so many that I can't remember the names. I think it might be the second reason.

Dark Beer category would be basically Guinness and Yuengling Porter. I'm a sucker for a beer that has a lot of taste behind it and besides Guinness has only 125 calories to a 12 oz serving. Almost a light beer.

The Microbrew Category is a real tough one. Just so many that are excellent. Sierra Nevada, Victory, Brooklyn, are just a few in my neck of the woods that are worth the money.

For Imports, I would have to say anything imported except Corona. It seems that every bottle of Corona that I have tried smells skunky and tastes watery. No wonder you have to put a lime in it. I had a really good Indian beer and and average Brazilian beer about 2 weeks ago. Still better than Cornona.

Lastly, the Cheap Beers. Had some real fun this summer going on the cheap beer routine. You know, the ones you drank when you were younger? Pabst wasn't too bad and the $2 drafts at the local ballpark were great during the heat of the summer. Locally, the $1 Miller High Lifes hit the spot after playing a softball double header and it is ok on draft. Had too many of these in bottles during my younger days that tasted awful, so I still can't bring myself to buy it in bottles. Milwaukee's Best or The Beast (Regular) is not that bad for a really cheap beer. At least it is drinkable compare to Old German (an Iron City product). It took 18 of those over a week before I could handle the last 6.

I know, I probably missed your favorite and got you all ticked off at me. Well that's ok because this is what I would spend my money. If you want to send me your list, that would be great, just e-mail me. Maybe if I get enough responses I could publish a Top Twenty List. And, if you want to send me a case of your favorite beer, that would be even better.

So till next time, Slainte.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Blogger. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for wine cooling system related information and found your site. I have a wine cooling system site. You'll find everything about wine, gift baskets, Napa Valley wine tours, and how to keep your wine properly chilled until it's ready to drink. Please try and visit it, see what you think.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Blogger. I was looking for wine glasses related information and found your site. I have a wine glasses site. You'll find everything about wine, gift baskets, Napa Valley wine tours, and how to keep your wine properly chilled until it's ready to drink. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP