Your Source For Making Wine and Beer

Monday, October 17, 2005

Musgo Wine - My First Attempt




Ah, musgo wine, my very first attempt at making wine. Beer brewing season was winding down in late spring 2002 when I first got the inspiration to make wine. Before that time, I really had no interest in wine. Never liked the taste. So, rushing down to the library, I took out some books and began to read. Way too much infor for someone just starting out.


Next trip was to the local winery which sells wine making supplies. John, the manager, was quite helpful and sold me the very basic stuff that I needed along with giving me some tips. Next thing I needed to do was to find either some fruit or juice that I could use.


Heading home I got thinking, "Hey I have some stuff in the freezer, maybe I can use that." At that time, Musgo wine was born. Searching thru the freezer, I found orange juice, lemonade mix and strawberries and thought, "this stuff is getting old, it must go. So I'll use it for the wine."


I mixed up the juices and the strawberries, threw in some dried currants along with sugar to bring my hydrometer reading to 1.085. Added the yeast and the other chemicals and waited. It took several days before it started to work, simply because no one every told me that the campden tablets would slow down the process.


Well after a week of fermenting, the wine was racked over allowed to age for several months. Before bottling, I added a little more sugar along with potassium sorbate to stop any further fermentation.


It got me thinking, "Could I use store bought juices? Hmm...I'll have to try on the next batch."


I finally opened a bottle in the fall of 2002 and was quite surprised at the taste. Honestly, I was expecting something rather puckery and awful. It wasn't bad and the best thing is that it only cost about a buck to make each bottle.

3 comments:

colby said...

Oh King George, what a tangled web you weave, when you practice to deceive the American people
This blog is dedicated to those who choose freedom over oppression ... The White House censors the news we get.
Get A Grant

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Blogger. I was looking for wine clubs related information and found your site. I have a wine clubs site. You'll find everything about wine, gift baskets, Napa Valley wine tours, and how to keep your wine properly chilled until it's ready to drink. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Blogger. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for california wine tours related information and found your site. I have a california wine tours site. You'll find everything about wine, gift baskets, Napa Valley wine tours, and how to keep your wine properly chilled until it's ready to drink. Please try and visit it, see what you think.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP