Your Source For Making Wine and Beer

Barley Wine

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Well here it is November 16th and fall has officially set in at my neck of the woods. Temperatures in the high 30's and the wind gusting to about 15 miles an hour. It's these kind of days and nights that make you want to kick back and drink one of those "big beers." You, know the kind that are over 9% alcohol, the barley wine category.

The last copy of years I have been brewing a barley wine. The twist that I do is that I use wine yeast instead of beer yeast and I also do not carbonate my barley wine. I'm trying to go for a smoother, mellower style than you usually find. Still working the kinks out. Here is my recipe from last year's batch.

Barley-Wheat Wine
August 21, 2004
2 Gallon


3 ½ Pounds Light Dry Malt Extract
3 Pounds Crushed Wheat, Buckwheat & Amarath
1 WelchÂ’s White Grape/Peach Juice (100% Frozen Concentrate)
2 Teaspoons Yeast Nutrient
2 Campden Tablet
1 ½ Gallons Water
1 Pack Red Star Montrachet Yeast
2 Cups Light Brown Sugar

Original Gravity 1.090

Racked from Primary Fermenter 08/28/04

Added 2 pounds Dark Brown Sugar mixed with 1 gallon water.

Dry Hopped 1 ounce Fuggles Hops Pellets 4.4% Alpha along with 1 ounce
East Kent Goldings Hops Pellets 5.6% alpha


Racked September 9, 2004

Tasted this about 3 months ago, still a little sharp.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP