Your Source For Making Wine and Beer

Plastic or Glass, Which Do You Use?

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Plastic or Glass which do you use? When I first started out making beer I used the white plastic fermenter. It was the only thing that I knew to use because I had no clue as to what a carboy was. These white buckets are great. Easy to clean and if you get one with a spigot, easy to fill bottles with. When I started doing wine I would use this as a primary fermenter but I would need something as a secondary.

So enter the plastic 5 gallon bottle. This is a picture of a 5 gallon Better Bottle with a spigot. I have not tried this type, but instead I have been using 5 gallon plastic water bottles, you know the kind that go on top of water machines. The plastic is great for short term storage or used as a secondary fermenter. You can remove the small cap in the middle and put in a small stopper for your airlock. I've been using this method for about 2 years now. Primary reason--->the bottles are lighter. A filled 5 gallon carboy weighs a ton.

The glass carboy, the original fermenter, and the one preferred by many. Sure glass will make a better storage container than plastic, but personally I don't understand all the hype by others who insist that glass is the only thing to use. Maybe it is part tradition, part stubbornness, or part brainwashing. Heck, I don't know. For me, these are always a real pain to clean, so I usually use my glass fermenters for aging my wine. I usually transfer my wine from the plastic bottles to the glass bottles after about 2 or 3 months. I age my wine for about 6 - 9 months in the glass before finally bottling it.

Glass or plastic, which do you use. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference. I would suggest that if you are just starting out, that you use the plastic bottles. Whole lot easier to use and will cut down on any frustation levels.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Blogger. I was looking for wine cellar equipment related information and found your site. I have a wine cellar equipment site. You'll find everything about wine, gift baskets, Napa Valley wine tours, and how to keep your wine properly chilled until it's ready to drink. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP